Have you tried chia, aka "the miracle seed" yet?
We've been a bit obsessed with chia seeds for a while now, and are so happy to include it as a regular part of our weekly menus! We're offering the perfect breakfast or snack in the form of a chia pudding parfait -- a tapioca-like pudding made from chia, homemade cashew milk sweetened with dates, topped with our housemade granola and a compote of local fruit. We think you'll agree, it's a delicious and supercharged way to start your day!
So why is chia all the rage? here are 5 good reasons to include chia seeds in your diet.
- Chia seeds contain 20% Omega 3 ALA, which is critical for healthy brain function. Believe it or not, chia has 8 times more omega 3 than salmon!
- Chia is super high in antioxidants, even more than blueberries!
- Chia is five times higher in calcium than milk. If you're dairy-free, chia is a great way to meet your calcium needs.
- Chia is high in fiber, which is great for your digestive system. It is also mucilaginous, which helps reduce inflammation in your digestive tract.
- Studies show that eating chia slows down our bodies' conversion of carbohydrate calories into simple sugars. This is great for preventing blood sugar spikes and maintaining consistent energy.
There are so many other reasons to love chia seeds (vitamins, minerals, proteins, weight loss, energy!) but I'll stop at 5 for now!
Try our chia pudding parfait and you'll understand why these little black seeds are the darling of the health food crowd!